360 servos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 servos

I did a search on all prior threads to mention servos, and I can see that in 2006 and 2007 that it was not legal to modify a servo to go 360 degrees. There is no clear mention of this in the 2010 rules. <R54> says that we can not do anything to increase the power, or unsafely decrease the weight. But <R52>B says "An unlimited number of COTS servos with a maximum torque of 55 oz-in and maximum rotation speed of 100rpm at 6Vdc". Since there are now COTS servos that turn 360 (turn continuously in either direction) like the SparkFun ROB-09347

[url="http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9347"][Sparkfun ROB-09347/URL]

Does that mean that we can also modify other, less expensive servos to to allow continuous rotation too? This would not violate the spirit of <R54> as this change has no effect on the torque or speed of the servo.

A second question. We are trying for advanced steering control, and if we can't use 360 rotation servos, then need more motors. Rule <54> specifies the exact maximum number of CIM motors, but does not list a specific maximum number of the other KOP motors. Are we limited to only:
    (2) Denso window motor left
    (2) Denso window motor right
    (2) FisherProce 9015 motor
    (1) Mabuchi 2670 motor
    (1) Mabuchi 3754

???

That does not leave us with 4 of ANY kind of motor, other than CIM motors which are needed to drive the wheels, and servo motors which are the only category that can clearly be added without limit.
    Rocket Scientists think LIGHTYEARS outside the box!

MythBusters just blow the box up!

Re: 360 servos

The standard disclaimer applies that you should seek an official answer from the Official Q&A forum.

For the second question;
    Not to be flip but it requires some reading and perhaps re-reading of the rules. See R52 in section 8, paragraphs A and then E. Then read R49 that requires one victor, spike or Jag per motor. Then R46 para A that requires one circuit breaker per speed controller. Lastly please keep in mind the spirit of the rules are for safety and to level the playing field.

I could be wrong but I think each robot is limited to 5 CIMs plus the 2010 KOP on the robot.
    I hope this helps.

Mentor #1294 - Top Gun
    Keith Horn
    Mentor FRC#1294 - Top Gun
    www.kamocat.com
    Hornworks contributor

Comment

Working...
    X