Tunnel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunnel

We have just finished building tunnels last night and the inside dimension of the tunnes is only 16.5 inches. The rules state that the tunnel will be approximately 18 inches tall. With the top of the bumper zone at 16 inches and a tunnel at 16.5 inches how can a robot that will fit under the tunnel be built that will not "carry" a ball on its top. Is the 16.5 dimension in error? Does the tunnel sit on top of another field element. It does not appear that it does.

Re: Tunnel

The ball cannot sit on top of the robot i dont think

Comment

18" is the inside dimension. (I think it says in the note to the drawing)
      To get the outside height, you would add the 8" mini-ramp to the 12" high bumps, and get a 20" high platform for the towers.

However, I admit, I have not looked at the drawings, and it's possible there's a discrepancy between Chapter 7 and the field drawings.

Comment

From the manual, section 6.2.4:

The PLATFORM is approximately 41 inches wide by 32 inches deep, and is at a height of approximately 21 inches above the floor. A 36-inch wide by 18- inch tall TUNNEL under the PLATFORM, providing a passageway between the MIDFIELD and the adjacent end ZONES.
        And it is correct that balls cannot be carried (7.3.5.3 <G44>), but a sloped cover on the top of the robot should easily prevent that.

Comment

I have uncovered the answer. The tunnel sits on top of the 1.5" aluminum channel on the tower base. This adds 1.5 inches to the 16.5 making the inside dimension of the tunnel 18" tall.

Comment

Working...
          X