Permissible Frame Volume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permissible Frame Volume

We are just finishing up our frame build, and with the thickness of locking collars on our axles, our external dimensions are 28.5" wide - putting us 0.5" outside the permissible frame volume. Will we be disqualified with this? What is the permissible tolerance on the frame volume specification?

Thanks!

Team 2711

Re: Permissible Frame Volume

You will not be able to compete this way. Tolerance is zero.

Comment

I would suggest being half an inch under width and length.
      (It's easier to pass the inspection if you don't have to press-fit your robot in and out of the sizing box)

Comment

Check Rule <R14> - there is some allowance, but I agree with Marshal to be less than 28" if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011FRC3145 View Post
          Check Rule <R14> - there is some allowance, but I agree with Marshal to be less than 28" if possible.
          As has been pointed out earlier, the tolerance is and has always been zero.

There is some latitude concerning the frame perimeter but none regarding <R11>. Moreover, the smart design will be slightly underweight and slightly less than maximum dimensions in the event that the inspectors scale or ruler is slightly different from yours.
          Mike Betts

Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

This question was originally from 2010 .... although that doesn't change the answer.

As Mike pointed out, <R14> does not allow overage to total size - size is governed by <R11> only. What <R14> addresses what the rules call a "mushroom bot" - where the frame at the BUMPER ZONE is smaller than structures above. That is not allowed. <R14> excludes minor protrusions which would change an otherwise-legal vertical side into an illegal "mushroomed" side.
            Last edited by Gary Voshol; 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X