Should we build an arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we build an arm?

My team suggested building a multi-rotational arm, so I did. The only problem is, our senior member said that arms are bad, and all of the teams he asked on chief delphi said not to use an arm. The thing is, this arm works! All of the things he said would go wrong, don't go wrong! It works around 99% of the time, and has never experienced any of the "problems" my teammate spoke of. I was wondering what your opinion on arms are. I'm a freshman, so I'm new to the team, but I need help convincing the rest of the team that this is a good idea!

Re: Should we build an arm?

Originally posted by Mr. Han Solo
    deleted post
    ................(no comment)
    Last edited by Ryan Foley; 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

An "Arm" is a very indistinct term. What is the difference between a lift and an arm? When does one become the other?

To place a game piece, you appear to have two choices. lift or throw. If you lift, How do you achieve at least 10' when your initial configuration must be at most 5'?

I personally "believe" (research may soon follow) that NASA has used multi-segmented, multi-rotational arms if that is any comfort...

I'd say that our purpose here is to think outside the box! The competition would be extremely boring if everyone had the same design. Our team has had 4 competing lifting designs and 3 competing "?grasping?" designs.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhitern1 View Post
        An "Arm" is a very indistinct term. What is the difference between a lift and an arm? When does one become the other?

To place a game piece, you appear to have two choices. lift or throw. If you lift, How do you achieve at least 10' when your initial configuration must be at most 5'?

I personally "believe" (research may soon follow) that NASA has used multi-segmented, multi-rotational arms if that is any comfort...

I'd say that our purpose here is to think outside the box! The competition would be extremely boring if everyone had the same design. Our team has had 4 competing lifting designs and 3 competing "?grasping?" designs.
        Our "arm" is a series of motors attached to long segments of metal, attached to other pieces of metal on the end, and so forth.

Comment

Working...
        X