PVC Pneumatic tanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Pneumatic tanks

Hey, our team was wondering about using PVC for replacing the current steel storage tanks, we were close on weight this year and want to do what we can to drop it down next year. At the Finger Lakes regional this year, we saw People that had made their own custom Storage tanks. If they only were able to use them because of slack inspections or not I don't know, but we did see them. I know that PVC is rated for more than 125 PSI working pressure, so I don't see why not in that respect. And before anyone says something about these tanks, http://www.pneuaire.com/reca44cuin.html I have seen those as well, but the ones we saw were PVC.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: PVC Pneumatic tanks

They did not make the tanks themselves; they are a COTS item. There is a thread on ChiefDelphi about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Voshol View Post
      They did not make the tanks themselves; they are a COTS item. There is a thread on ChiefDelphi about them.
      Okay, let's do this again, I've been on Chief Delphi, they are not the COTS Plastic tanks like in the link I posted originally. They were PVC tubing. Like this.
      http://www.lowes.com/pd_23966-1814-P...uantity_sold|1
      Did you read my original post?

Comment

This year, team-made pneumatic components are not allowed, regardless of the material. They must be COTS and have the appropriate pressure ratings.

I can not divine what next years rules will allow...
        Last edited by Mike Betts; 04-11-2011, 12:02 AM.
        Mike Betts

Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

Huh, well that answers my question I guess. I guess the inspection was not very thorough then? I'm positive there were teams with PVC storage tanks at the Finger Lakes Regional.

Comment

Jeff,

Not all inspectors have the same experience level. Many inspectors are team mentors but many are not. The non-mentors do not live and breathe the rules for 6+ weeks and may not have the background to look at a robot and instantly identify problems...

Unfortunately, the only inspectors to get formal training are the Lead Robot Inspectors. You should have pointed out the problem, particularly a safety issue such as this, to the LRI...

Mike
            Mike Betts

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

Ah well that does explain it then. I would have pointed it out if I was aware of the problem, I had no clue as to whether it was illegal or not and figured it probably was safe. and it is, at least as far as working pressure goes. I've looked up the specs and most if not all PVC it rated far, far, FAR above 125 psi. But don't get me wrong, I can understand how it could be more dangerous when compared to COTS item.
              Thanks,
              Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

With more than 2000 teams with varying expertise, it is prudent...

Mike
                Mike Betts

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff L View Post
                  Ah well that does explain it then. I would have pointed it out if I was aware of the problem, I had no clue as to whether it was illegal or not and figured it probably was safe. and it is, at least as far as working pressure goes. I've looked up the specs and most if not all PVC it rated far, far, FAR above 125 psi. But don't get me wrong, I can understand how it could be more dangerous when compared to COTS item.
                  Thanks,
                  Jeff
                  PVC is rated for liquid, not for compressed air. It's dangerous to use it for compressed air. See the following warnings from OSHA: http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
                  Team 330 beta tester

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff L View Post
                    Did you read my original post?
                    Evidently not very well, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X