Minibot parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minibot parts

is there a form of servo that is useable for the logomotion minibots?

Re: Minibot parts

I believe that you can use Tetrix servos from Lego Education. The rulebook specifies which servo model, I think.
    Nishant

Comment

We are unable to find somewhere to purchase a Tetrix base set - all online stores are out of stock. We are fairly new to robotics and have only NXT sets at our school. If anyone knows where we can get a Tetrix base set - send an e-mail ASAP to: [email protected] or reply to this post!

THANKS!

Comment

I'm a little unclear about allowed parts for the minibots. The manual says aluminum bars and sheets are allowed, so does that mean that any aluminum parts machined by the team could be used?

Comment

One of the items your team can order for free from the FIRST Choice program (http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/....aspx?id=18619) is an 'FTC Mini Kit (fc-020)'. It contains the two permitted motors, the battery and charger, as well as selected Tetrix hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdowell3507 View Post
            I'm a little unclear about allowed parts for the minibots. The manual says aluminum bars and sheets are allowed, so does that mean that any aluminum parts machined by the team could be used?
            It looks that way so far.
            4th year high school
            Team 663, Robonauts
            Originally posted by chris greene
            wait soo is Bryce663 the rule master?
            I am now! Fear my power! >:3

Comment

Where can I purchase a second 'FTC Mini Kit (fc-020)', and for how much?

Comment

The FTC rules specify that only Aluminum that is .06 thick may be used in FTC competition robots. Does the Minibot have to follow the same constraints? We are building our minibot and I don't want to have to rebuild it because we used the wrong materials. According to the rule book, I am assuming that we can use any Aluminum thickness of material and may be able to machine it into whatever we need. If not, please let me know.

As a side note, you can usually purchase the FTC supplies from Pitsco. If you call them and tell them it is for FRC they will probably expidite a kit to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nishant View Post
                  I believe that you can use Tetrix servos from Lego Education. The rulebook specifies which servo model, I think.
                  Nishant
                  There is a wattage limit (4 watts, R45 B.) on what servos can be used on the mini-bot and Hostbot. See Team Update # 1, R92 A. Teams are responsible for documentation of this. However, if you look at mfg. specs, none are given in Watts, and there are various amp and voltage ranges given. The GDC needs to clarify how servo Watts are to be calculated for consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011FRC2517 View Post
                    The FTC rules specify that only Aluminum that is .06 thick may be used in FTC competition robots. Does the Minibot have to follow the same constraints? We are building our minibot and I don't want to have to rebuild it because we used the wrong materials. According to the rule book, I am assuming that we can use any Aluminum thickness of material and may be able to machine it into whatever we need. If not, please let me know.

As a side note, you can usually purchase the FTC supplies from Pitsco. If you call them and tell them it is for FRC they will probably expidite a kit to you.
                    If you google "sheet metal gauge", you will find that #3 gauge is the thickest you can call sheet metal. After that, it is considered plate and would be outside the rule of allowable materials. Remember that FTC and FRC are similar, but not the same in all respects. Remember, only the GDC is the final authority on these matters, but a sheet metal chart on gauge numbers and decimal equivalents should be enough at tech inspection if GDC doesn't clarify this issue. I did another chart search and came up with this link:

http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm

Looks like "sheet metal" goes thicker than #3 gauge (see non-ferrous column)
                    Last edited by 2011FRC0175; 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM. Reason: Additional and corrective info

Comment

In industry, aluminum sheet refers to material with thicknesses <=0.190" and aluminum plate refers to thicknesses >=0.190. Unfortunately, many people incorrectly refer to plate as sheet, so there could be some debate as to the intent of the rule. I think this would warrant a review and clarification of the rule.

Aside from that, for construction of parts, bar is allowed, which is typically limited to 6" wide and 3 inches thick. Any dimension greater than that and it is refered to by another shape.

Comment

Working...
                      X