Frame Perimeter rule clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Perimeter rule clarification

Last year my team had to spend valuable time on the practice day creating a "sleeve" for our robot that had absolutely zero protrusions from the sides. This included the heads of round bolts that did not extend more than an eighth of an inch out from the flat side of the robot. This was due to the extremely strict interpretation of the frame perimeter rules last year.
    This year I see that there is a special mention about this in the rules, to wit -

Note: to permit a simplified definition of the FRAME PERIMETER and encourage a tight, robust connection between the BUMPERS and the FRAME PERIMETER, minor protrusions such as bolt heads, fastener ends, rivets, etc are excluded from the determination of the FRAME PERIMETER.

So I want to verify that this means that we can have small protrusions such as the heads of bolds, etc., outside the frame perimeter and will not have to go through the same extremely frustrating experience as last year.

Re: Frame Perimeter rule clarification

Yes, this also happened to us at the Virginia Regional and the judges clearly didn't understand that same rule from last year. It wasted our time on practice day.

Comment

In my opinion, the "rule" you quoted has to do with the attachment of the bumpers. The inspectors were enforcing the rules as per the guidance of the GDC. Small protrusions were allowed within the bumper zone only.

<R14> covers the entire hostbot.

If you need clarification, you should ask in the official Q&A.
      Mike Betts

Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

As a former robot inspector it is sometimes difficult to determine the intent of the rules. I have to agree with Mike, I don't see where there are allowances for bolt heads protruding past the frame perimeter.

There may be an intentional loop hole however.
        Revision B of the robot rules, <R07> K currently says:

"The BUMPER backing must be supported by the structure/frame of the ROBOT (i.e. the gap between the backing material and the frame must not be greater than 1/4” and no section of BUMPER greater than 8” may be unsupported). See Figure 3-3."

So if a bolt head protrudes less than 1/4"...
        Keith Horn
        Mentor FRC#1294 - Top Gun
        www.kamocat.com
        Hornworks contributor

Comment

Current inspectors need to take notice of the Blue Box under the definition of FRAME PERIMETER:
          Note: to permit a simplified definition of the FRAME PERIMETER and encourage a tight, robust connection between the BUMPERS and the FRAME PERIMETER, minor protrusions such as bolt heads, fastener ends, rivets, etc are excluded from the determination of the FRAME PERIMETER.
          And, just like last year, there is no exemption for boltheads that are outside the BUMPER ZONE. The FRAME PERIMETER must be the widest and longest part of the ROBOT.

Comment

Working...
          X