Bumper Placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Placement

Does anyone know if the bumper has to be attached directly to the robot's perimeter frame or can it be mounted below the robot's perimeter frame?

[============]
    .O------------O

=============
    [ = O-------O = ]

Our frame is 7 inches from the ground. To mount the bumpers level with the top could be a problem. A solution is to use C channel beneath the robot's frame level (at 7 inches) giving better bracing to the bumpers.

We just want to know if a rule or an interpretation of a rule would prevent us from mounting our bumpers below the frame plane.

e-mail me at jlm14588@yahoo.com. Thank you.
    Last edited by J. Mckinley; 02-13-2011, 11:10 PM. Reason: Mounting bumpers on our robot.

Re: Bumper Placement

In my opinion, an auxilliary frame member is a part of your frame.

Please don't confuse the defined term FRAME PERIMETER with the parts (KoP or otherwise) that you use to build a frame. The FRAME PERIMETER is the polygon defined by the outermost parts of your ROBOT (excluding BUMPERS) in the BUMPER ZONE - 1 to 7 inches from the floor. The FRAME PERIMETER defines where the BUMPER has to go.

If you put additional parts on your ROBOT within the BUMPER ZONE, those parts become part of the definition of your FRAME PERIMETER.

Comment

Re: Bumper Placement

Originally posted by J. Mckinley View Post
      Does anyone know if the bumper has to be attached directly to the robot's perimeter frame or can it be mounted below the robot's perimeter frame?

[============]
      .O------------O

=============
      [ = O-------O = ]

Our frame is 7 inches from the ground. To mount the bumpers level with the top could be a problem. A solution is to use C channel beneath the robot's frame level (at 7 inches) giving better bracing to the bumpers.

We just want to know if a rule or an interpretation of a rule would prevent us from mounting our bumpers below the frame plane.

e-mail me at jlm14588@yahoo.com. Thank you.
      Gary's post is, in my opinion, correct. However, please consider the difference between legality and functionality.

Two robots, hitting each other at full speed (or your robot hitting a field element at that same speed) is equivalent to pushing your robot off a 30" table and it hitting the floor bumper first (do the math!). In a competitive competition, this may occur many times each match...

If the support for your bumpers is not of "frame quality" then they will fail.

Guaranteed...
      Mike Betts

Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

Working...
      X