FIRST Choice credits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRST Choice credits?

I have been asked by team members how many FIRST Choice credits will be issued for each team for the first round. They're looking to make selections and part of the decision process for them is how many credits they will have to spend.

Thank you,

KenSt

Re: FIRST Choice credits?

With the exception of international teams that chose the game piece option, all teams begin with 600 credits (those international teams that opted for the game piece option start with 420 credits). Your balance should show in the "My Credits" section of the site when logged in.
    FIRST
    Kit of Parts Manager

Comment

Of the 600 credits available I would like to know if all credits are not used in round one are they carried over to round two? When must all credits be used by before they expire?

As to using the credits the suggestion is to put a list together with at least twice as many credits because as teams make their selections the items run out and you will have to go to the next item on your priority list, which in fact may be several items further down on the list.

Comment

Yes, per the blog, unused credits carry over to Round 2.
        FIRST Choice closes on April 14, 2015, at which points all unused credits will be dissolved.
        FIRST
        Kit of Parts Manager

Comment

Thank you, Kate for the reply on the number of credits. We're all set.

Ken

Comment

Do you have a link that shows what a team will be receiving on Kickoff day. We opted out from receiving the full Kit of Parts and someone then told me that our team would still be receiving a Kickoff kit when we attend our Kickoff event. I had put our Kickoff event as the pickup location. But what exactly is in that Kickoff kit. Maybe you can respond with a link.

Thank you,
            Patrick

Comment

I found the 2015 Kickoff Kit.
              http://www.firstinspires.org/resourc...rc/kickoff-kit
              This page says that a control system will be received with the Kickoff Kit.

Is there a place for the 2016 Kickoff Kit so that I can understand what I will be receiving and I can see what I need to purchase yet.

Thank you,
              Patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick,

The contents of the 2016 Kickoff Kits are confidential, however we have released some information via the FRC blog to teams to help with planning (e.g. what to expect for motor controllers, only rookie teams will receive specific control system components, etc.).
                FIRST
                Kit of Parts Manager

Comment

What items will be available in Round 2? Will it be a selection of items like Round 1 or anything Andymark sells?

Comment

I would like to make a suggestion for next year's FIRST Choice program. I heard of a team in my area that were again fortunate to receive support from a great company and community partner. Payment by the sponsor for the 1st regional was made on the due date of November 23rd, 2015. FIRST Choice points were issued to teams at 12pm ET, 11/19/2015. (In an effort not to badger the company, a letter of support was not requested.) As a result, this team, and I suspect others, will still be able to compete in the regional but not have the same "fiscal" advantage as other teams. I am sure that there is a very good reason as to why the FIRST Choice points were issued ahead of the FIRST Regional payment deadline. But for many teams FIRST Choice Credits are a huge asset when it comes to sourcing parts for the season.

I am certainly not knocking the FIRST Choice program, attempting to assign blame, or whining about fairness. FIRST and all of the affiliated partners do so much for the students, it is absolutely amazing!

Comment

Round 2 items are secret until Kickoff.
                      FIRST
                      Kit of Parts Manager

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your recommendation. We deliberately (for the reasons you mention) don't require that a team is "secured" (meaning they have paid or FIRST has a commitment letter from a sponsor) in order for a team to have access to their FIRST Choice password, FIRST Choice account, or create a prioirty list (this was all the stuff that kicked off on 11/19). The team only has to be registered for an event. However, in order for items to actually ship to a team (which started earlier last week), the team does have to be secured. AndyMark knows not to ship items until a team is "secured." Does that make sense?
                        FIRST
                        Kit of Parts Manager

Comment

Kate,

I just looked at the FIRST Choice list and the number of available items is shrinking significantly. I know some items will most likely be added in 2016 after kickoff, but that
                          may not fix the issue completely and result in some unsatisfied teams. Consequently I have one small suggestion regarding the Victor 888 motor controllers.

When I last looked there were over 2000 pieces still available. I have used up my team's allotment of 4 pieces in the first round. Would it be possible to increase the allotment
                          to 8 pieces per team in the second round as a means for many teams to use up their points?

Merry Christmas to you and the FIRST Staff. Keep up the hard work!

Marc Center, FRC3548 head coach and engineering mentor
                          Marc Center
                          FRC Team 3548 - Head Coach

Comment

Marc,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and constructive post. I appreciate your observation, and we'll absolutely take this in to consideration as move in to and through Round 2 and the 2016 season.

Kate
                            FIRST
                            Kit of Parts Manager

Comment

Working...
                            X