problems with the color sensor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with the color sensor

Hi, our team has had many problems to detect with the color sensor some colors for example confuse green with blue or red with yellow, I have changed the sensor and they all do the same, I wonder there is another way or routine of programming to solve this problem?

Most FLL teams use the color sensor in reflective light intensity mode to detect a black line surrounded by a white line with the intention of either stopping at the line, squaring to the line, or following the line. In this case, they are not sensing color at all; instead they are detecting how much light is reflected back to the sensor. Over a white part, you will typically see 90% and over black you will see around 10%. If the blue part of the mat you are traveling through is, say, 50%, then it is relatively easy to have the robot find either the black or white part. For white you would set the sensor to look for areas above 70% (just to be sure you're not detecting the blue) and for black you'd be looking for something less than 30%. Our team almost never looks for blue or green or red.

Comment

Originally posted by UCrobotic View Post
      Hi, our team has had many problems to detect with the color sensor some colors for example confuse green with blue or red with yellow, I have changed the sensor and they all do the same, I wonder there is another way or routine of programming to solve this problem?
      The height of the sensor dramatically affects what it detects in any mode. Best practices that people have stated: the color sensor should be pointing directly down at the mat (not on an angle. The ideal distance from the mat should be between 1/2 and 2 tecnic beams high (4mm - 16mm, given the width of a beam is is 8mm)

Comment

Black and white are not your only options either. There are some other spots on this map where there is a nice, sharp break between colors that give contrasting reflected light intensity readings. Do some sampling with Port View in the areas you are navigating to see what you might be able to use.

Comment

Working...
        X